SENDAI (Kyodo) — The Miyagi prefectural government began testing the thyroids of 83 children of up to elementary school age Sunday in the town of Marumori, which borders Fukushima Prefecture, to examine the health impact of the Fukushima nuclear crisis.
The radiation level in the prefecture north of Fukushima is estimated to be below the annual limit of 1 millisievert in most areas but at 4.1 millisieverts and 2.8 millisieverts in two areas of the town, prompting concerns among residents, particularly those with children, it said.
The number of young wild abalone shellfish in the sea off the coast of Miyagi Prefecture has decreased by over 90 percent in the aftermath of the massive tsunami triggered by the March 11 Great East Japan Earthquake, researchers have found.
The scientists suspect that most of the abalone were swept away from their feeding areas by the tsunami.
[toggle_simple title=”Related articles” width=”600″]
- High internal radiation exposure detected in young children – 16 people with internal exposure over 1 millisievert (enenews.com)
- 10/21/2011 List of Alerts of Physical Examination of Products from Japan Due to Radionuclide Contamination (enformable.com)
- 5 Farms in Fukushima Prefecture Found With Cesium Contamination Over Limits (enformable.com)
- Kyodo: Number of births declined significantly in Fukushima and Tokyo between April and June (enenews.com)
- Citizens in Miyagi Prefecture Request Radiation Survey – Shiroishi in Marumori measured same radiation dose as parts of Fukushima (enformable.com)
- Quake hits Japan’s Fukushima prefecture – 70 miles from Fukushima Dai-ichi (enformable.com)
- 3 breathtaking stories emerge from workers at Fukushima (enformable.com)
- WSJ: Latest food scare hits Japan – Rice over radiation limit found 60 km from meltdowns – Gov’t said previous tests were under (enenews.com)
- Tokyo to Further “Support” Fukushima in 2013 Winter National Athletic Meet (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Radioactive Rice: 1270 Bq/kg of Cesium from Rice in Onami District, Fukushima City (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- TEPCO Confirms I-131 Still One of Three Main Nuclides Found In Seawater Near Unit 1 to 4 (enformable.com)
- Judges find in favor of NRC and Pilgrim NPP – Relicensing to Continue (enformable.com)
- June Survey Shows Radioactive iodine spread south of Fukushima – Iodine 131 found higher than Cesium 137 (enformable.com)
- Radioactive Chestnut from Fukushima, 2,040 Bq/Kg (enformable.com)
- Yet More #Radioactive Rice from Fukushima, From Watari District of Fukushima City (ex-skf.blogspot.com)
- Over 4,000 electronic dosimeters destroyed by Tsunami at Fukushima Daiichi leaving only 500 (enformable.com)
- Inappropriate Dumping – Hosono not to take salary because of misconduct (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Prefecture to Recieves 700 Initial Radiation Meters – Gov’t aims to loan 6,000 dosimeters by Feb (enformable.com)
- Fukushima Prefecture Bans Wild Mushroom Shipments – Tkahagi and Ibaraki also find contamination (enformable.com)
- Citizens in Miyagi Prefecture Request Radiation Survey – Shiroishi in Marumori measured same radiation dose as parts of Fukushima (news.lucaswhitefieldhixson.com)