TEPCO admits likely leak of contaminated water near Fukushima Daiichi Unit 2

Author: 2 Comments Share:

An aerial view shows workers wearing protective suits and masks working atop contaminated water storage tanks at TEPCO's tsunami-crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Fukushima

The problems with leaking contaminated water at Fukushima Daiichi are worsening every day.  Despite the Prime Minister assuring the nation and the world that the problems at Fukushima Daiichi are under control, residents of Japan and other nations are calling for the Japanese government to do more to contain the problem, as soon as possible.  Today, the towns which are located closest to the crippled nuclear power complex are still classified as no-go zones, and radioactive hot spots can easily be found.

Attempts by TEPCO to stop the contaminated water on-site from leaking into the Pacific Ocean have appeared futile.  The utility has been working to solidify an embankment near Unit 2 which is suspected of carrying contaminated water from an underground tunnel into the Pacific Ocean, but admitted on Wednesday that so far its efforts are not having the intended results.

The large volume of extremely contaminated water being stored on-site in storage tanks is ever increasing, and is already too much to be stored in tanks indefinitely.  Contaminated water leaks have continued to occur and radioactive materials have already contaminated groundwater.  The contamination of the groundwater has already had negative effects on the clean up as TEPCO officials had planned to dig wells and pump out groundwater to keep it from mixing with contaminated water in the reactor buildings, but will now be unlikely to do so.

TEPCO officials have spent the last three weeks failing to identify the leak from a tank which allowed 300 tons of contaminated water to escape in August.  The Nuclear Regulation Authority told them to inspect the concrete foundations and soil under the tank to determine where the water had gone.  TEPCO officials can only speculate that water seeped out through the steel panel joints, and will take apart the tank next week to conduct more inspections.

Source: JiJi Press

Source: NHK

Previous Article

Japanese ministers miss the point at Fukushima Daiichi

Next Article

Supervisor at V.C. Summer nuclear power plant fails for-cause fitness for duty test